Belt Trouble

This forum is specifically for engine and gearbox posts, please try to keep on topic in any thread to make things easy to find

Moderator: Board Moderators

RED BARON
Regular Poster

Belt Trouble

Post by RED BARON »

Hi I am trying to fit new belts to my 1990 (G) Excel se after having great difficulty getting the crankshaft pulley off finally did it. I have managed to fit the new timing belt and bearing also tensioned up correctly, but can't undo the socket head cap screws on the power steering pump, mainly being difficult to get to and so tight, likewise the adjuster being tight and difficult to get to. I got the old belt off by taking the short cut and cut it off.

I have got a workshop manual but that said undo cap screws and adjuster.

My question is can someone help me on how to get the new power steering , water pump belt on with both of these pulleys fixed in place.

regards.
Ian.

tonypoll
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: BRG
Year: 1992

Re: Belt Trouble

Post by tonypoll »

I had a similar problem and solved it by just removing the water pump pulley. When replacing the belt you have to force the water belt pulley into placed and the belt tension was OK.

Phantasm
Senior Poster
Colour: Silk Red
Year: 1992

Post by Phantasm »

The belt adjuster was easily accessed with a stubby 13mm on my 91SE I had the tire off FWIW.
To turn the cap screws I used a universal joint on an allen/hex headed socket (#6 I believe) and an extension bar and came in from the back behind the frame.
Ratchet Spanner-> 12-15"extension -> universal joint -> allen headed socket } pump hardware.
Getting it on the cap screw is a little tricky but holds itself there nicely once attached.
-Bill
1991-92ish Lotus Excel SE Silk Red
2009 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited 4X4
2015.5 Volvo V60 T5
Previous: 2005 Toyota Prius, 2002 Nissan Maxima SE 6 speed, 1988 Toyota 4Runner, 1989 Toyota 4Runner, 1995 Dodge Neon, 1986 Ford Mustang

RED BARON
Regular Poster

Post by RED BARON »

Thank for all the help to get my belt on my waterpump/pas pulley. I used Tonypoll idea worked a treat had to grind a taper on a bit of old studding to help line the holes up a little bit but all in all only took an hour to complete and no adjustment needed.

I had already tried all the things Phantasm said ie. jack, axle stands, tyre off, modified hex keys,extension bars ect. I even took the crank pulley back off, to see if I could force it on that way. ( A day later ) That's when I tried Lotusexcel.net (Known as International Rescue to me.)

I can now get on and put everything back after I have done a full and comprehensive service.

Just one foot note I was a bit reluctant to get right under the car even jacked up and stands used as I am working in a single garage and am 67 years old.

Once again thanks Tonypoll and Phantasm ( don't know you real names )

Regards.
Ian.

chrisw2811
Senior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1986

Post by chrisw2811 »

Hi Ian. Great to hear that you have fixed the problem and the main tasks are completed. Well done - not much spare room in a single garage with the Excel in it!
1986 Excel SE, 1985 FJ1100, 2012 Passat TDI Estate, 2012 Golf TSi, 2010 Mini R56, 1985 Yamaha Salient 1964 Raleigh Runabout 1960 Motobecane 1979 Honda NC50 , '02 Montesa 315R

Well, if I was right all the time I'd get to be predictable!