Headlining Refit

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

RED BARON
Regular Poster

Headlining Refit

Post by RED BARON »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by RED BARON on Thu Jun 27, 2019 19:17, edited 2 times in total.

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Re: Headlining Refit

Post by AndyC »

The B pillar is part of the rear seat side panel, so yes it can be removed but not in isolation.
Remove rear seats (squabs and back), remove seatbelt top pivot, remove seatbelt end fixing (centre tunnel) , remove door seal, separate leather of the panel from the body fibreglass where glued to the body.

RED BARON
Regular Poster

Post by RED BARON »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by RED BARON on Thu Jun 27, 2019 19:18, edited 1 time in total.

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Post by AndyC »

With it glued to the outwards-facing surfaces, and tucked behind the edges that face towards the body, it's probably as good if not better than having those bits glued. That way any gaps are slightly filled by foam rather than exposed as gaps.
I'm now wondering why I've taken those side panels off each time, I cannot think of any benefit, only drawbacks.

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Post by Alan_M »

I fitted mine with the panel in situ. With the seat belt top mount unbolted it's possible to pull the trim forward enough to tuck the materiel around the back. The one thing to be careful is the leather may be glued to the lower section of the B post which may tear if not careful.
I did use some glue behind the panel to hold the edges in place. For the bottom edge I folded the edge of the materiel and glued it to create a nice finish. I used some masking tape on the leather to protect it when applying the glue.

I then removed the door seal and glued a separate piece of materiel to the B pillar to extend under the trim panel and door seal.

The result -

RED BARON
Regular Poster

Post by RED BARON »

Last edited by RED BARON on Thu Jun 27, 2019 19:18, edited 1 time in total.

RED BARON
Regular Poster

Post by RED BARON »

Last edited by RED BARON on Thu Jun 27, 2019 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Hi Ian .

To butt in. I got my lining from woolies as do most. However, like you I thought it was thin. If you look at my New Owner thread you can see that when I removed the old lining it was backed with some sort of felt.

So to bolster the padding I Stitched a curtain lining material every 10 cm.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

Mine came from lotusbits. It seems to be almost exactly the same as the original. I used it as it came to cover everything, except the main roof panels. For these sections I decided I wanted a quilted look like the Esprit. To obtain a thicker material to quilt I used a scrim foam glued to the back. This is commonly used in trimming to give a padded backing and comes in different thickness and is pretty cheap.

RED BARON
Regular Poster

Post by RED BARON »

Last edited by RED BARON on Thu Jun 27, 2019 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

RED BARON
Regular Poster

Post by RED BARON »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by RED BARON on Thu Jun 27, 2019 19:21, edited 1 time in total.

shaunw
Senior Poster
Model: Esprit GT3
Colour: CALYPSO

Post by shaunw »

I can answer one of your questions. Assuming you are going to use contact adhesive, you spray both surfaces evenly all over and wait until they are tacky. before joining together. Once its stuck its stuck so take care to line things up before you join them. The only other advice i would give is be carefull not to over stretch the fabric and be careful not to get any glue on the presented surface as even a small amount will show.

Shaun

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

In terms of glueing. Just apply to concave areas, not to all the front surfaces. Then apply to rear of trim moulding and edge of material that will fold over to the back. I tended to work from the center of each moulding gently stretching to the towards rear of panel and working in to concave areas.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Mr Muscle carpet cleaner will get rid of those RED arrows.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

RED BARON
Regular Poster

Post by RED BARON »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by RED BARON on Thu Jun 27, 2019 19:27, edited 2 times in total.