Instrument Binnacle removal

Body parts, seats, dash, headlining, windows and stuff!

Moderator: Board Moderators

Tanz
Senior Poster
Model: SE
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1988

Instrument Binnacle removal

Post by Tanz »

I'm trying to remove the black instrument binnacle so I can re-colour the leather between it and the wind screen. Pete Boole warned me at the restoration show that one of the fixings is difficult to remove. He wasn't joking. The other fixings were easy.
Looking at the service notes, VA internal trim, page 8, it says that there is plastic tubing to aid removal of this fixing. By taking out the lower instrument panel (the one with the choke) I can reach the tubing but how is it supposed to help? It fell apart and broke off anyway. Looks like the same tubing used as a petrol tank breather in the boot and just as fragile. Looks like a threaded stud but it is very difficult to get hold of and turn.
Has anyone else done this and how?

This is the offending item with tube broken off taken using a mirror

This picture shows the area we are talking about

The broken tube

Last edited by Tanz on Wed Nov 20, 2019 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Phil
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!

AndyC
Senior Poster
Model: SE x2 + Celebration x2
Colour: Gold,blue and green
Year: 1987

Re: Instrument Binnacle removal

Post by AndyC »

I'd forgotten just how bad those ones are.

I'd suggest some long-handled pliers (not just long-nosed), or if you can get the old tube off with a long screwdriver, then try a new bit of tube guided by something inside it such as a pencil.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White
Year: 1986

Post by Hawaiis0 »

some bent taper nose may be worth a go. Leave the tube on for extra grip first before removing if nogo
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Tanz
Senior Poster

Post by Tanz »

Its out! After trying everything I could think of, I had to cut a slot in the fibre glass (see picture below). Not ideal but you won't be able to see it when the lower dash is back in. I could then get some pliers on it and managed to move it.

The prize

Now my dash looks like this :shock:

So now I am ready to recolour the leather in front of the windscreen and the binnacle but what other jobs could I do while access is good?
I have a new accelerator cable that could go in as the existing one is 31 years old so could be wise to change it. Lubricate the heater moving parts - anything else?

Thanks for the above replies
Cheers, Phil

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

Bonnet cable lube ?
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

Ray-s
Regular Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: calypso red

Post by Ray-s »

:) Lubricate all heater control cables and speedo cable..LED bulbs in speedometer , rev counter etc put blue in mine to match radio looks good...Ray
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Ray...
Why is there always bits left over ?

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Well done Phil! I made a replacement "nut" when I did mine - I drilled and tapped a short length of steel rod and screwed a short cap head bolt into one end effectively making a long "gland nut" - you can then turn it from below (still with some difficulty) with a ball-ended hex key. Fun eh?

Pete

Tanz
Senior Poster

Post by Tanz »

Pete Boole wrote:Well done Phil! I made a replacement "nut" when I did mine - I drilled and tapped a short length of steel rod and screwed a short cap head bolt into one end effectively making a long "gland nut" - you can then turn it from below (still with some difficulty) with a ball-ended hex key. Fun eh?

Pete
I'm hoping to get a nut back on using a short extension on a 1/4 inch drive taking advantage of the slot I have cut but I guess it won't be that easy.
Cheers, Phil

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white

Post by bash »

Unless you are having any problems with the accelerator cable and its not frayed anywhere I would leave it alone. I had the same thought about putting a new cable in when I changed the engine but 1000 miles later, whilst on holiday in Dorset 300 miles from home, the sodding new one snapped. SJ's couriered a new one to me and I managed to repair it but, in my opinion, the original cable is better quality than the replacements.

Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

carlp
Regular Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Red
Year: 1987

Post by carlp »

Thanks for all the info, I need to remove the binnacle on my Excel as well so this sounds like fun. It's distorted along the top by the heater vents. Does anybody know a way to fix this or is it possible to find 'straight' replacements?

The top of the binnacle is also very shiny which reflect into the windscreen on a sunny day so I was wondering about covering the binnacle in something like alcantara?

Thanks
Carl
Carl

87 Excel SE
72 Elan Sprint
97 Alpina B10

Tanz
Senior Poster

Post by Tanz »

carlp wrote:Thanks for all the info, I need to remove the binnacle on my Excel as well so this sounds like fun. It's distorted along the top by the heater vents. Does anybody know a way to fix this or is it possible to find 'straight' replacements?

The top of the binnacle is also very shiny which reflect into the windscreen on a sunny day so I was wondering about covering the binnacle in something like alcantara?

Thanks
Carl
There are different ones on ebay with different coloured stitching. I have no idea if the quality is any good. Any one fitted one :?:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-STITCH ... Sw-W5U0JRf
Cheers, Phil

Tanz
Senior Poster

Post by Tanz »

Dash is all back in now. Jobs done - re coloured leather between binnacle and windscreen, re coloured binnacle, fitted new accelerator cable (old one was on its last legs), oiled all moving parts on heater/ controls and pedal box. Also wired in extra auxiliary sockets see below.

Found a use for that pocket. Cut a small hole through the carpet inside the pocket and threaded the wire behind the carpet and up to the cigarette lighter socket.
Cheers, Phil

Pete Boole
Senior Poster
Model: Elite
Colour: Monaco White
Year: 1974

Post by Pete Boole »

Excellent work Phil! Love the extra sockets!

Pete

Ray-s
Regular Poster
Model: Excel
Colour: calypso red

Post by Ray-s »

So that's what that pocket's for 8)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Ray...
Why is there always bits left over ?

robertverhey
Senior Poster
Year: 0

Post by robertverhey »

(Duplicate posting duplicate posting)
Last edited by robertverhey on Wed Dec 18, 2019 05:35, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Glacier Blue '87 SE