Rear brakes pads and discs

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

Alan_M
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE, Excel SA, Elan SE
Colour: Red, red, white

Rear brakes pads and discs

Post by Alan_M »

I need to replace rear brakes. Has anyone used the the EBC discs and Ultimax pads? How were they? Or are there any recommendations on pads and discs?

SJS have pads, discs and fitting kits, but unknown manufacturer and quality. Not to mention more expensive than the EBC ones.

Bryan listed some options for purchase before in the following thread, but at the moment only unknown brands seem to be available.

Also does anyone know of a source of the fitting kits , other than SJS where it is £55? The supplier of the fitting kits Bryan used no longer supply to UK.

Bryan’s post -
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10684&p=81275&hilit ... ads#p81275

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Re: Rear brakes pads and discs

Post by Alan_M »

Out of curiosity I had a nose at ECP’s website and found they have rear Brembo pads listed for a 1983 Toyota Celica 2.8. No mention of The Supra part of the name, but am I correct in thinking the 2.8 was only in the Celica Supra?
However if I search under my registration, they don’t list any pads.

They’re also at a very reasonable £19.52 with current offer.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/brembo-b ... -10182452A

igg-hiss
Senior Poster

Post by igg-hiss »

Hi Alan

Delphi Recon for the brake pads LP146 crossing over to Lotus 7701602289 where the original equipment manufacturer was Bendix the caliper is common to other vehicles and as such Delphi, TRW and a couple of others are still producing the pad. However Apec, Nipparts and Brake engineering to list just a few have stop production of this line.

I have used Brembo at work on customers cars and found the quality to be good (Through LKQ Andrew Page as i refuse to hold an account with LKQ Euro). However becareful sometimes Euro are guilty of white boxing for example Pagid for the rest of the world is an excellent german brand with a limited product reach and range. In the UK LKQ hold the naming rights to pagid and where gaps exist in Pagids range they white box stuff that the german brand would see as inferior and sell it in a nice blue box.

Schaeffler run a catalogue system called Repxpert which I think is free to register on it then has a free to use catalogue system (technical articles require credits but the catalogue is free) That is where I found LP146. Caution the catalogue is not always right so take measurments and double check and cross reference the part before you order as they even list a wheel speed sensor for the Excel.

Performance pads (coming from experience wih EBC green and red) can take a little time to warm up and are not always that quiet, idea for a track day car but far from idle for a GT Additionally noise can be generated by grooved discs. The plus side for them is retardation once on song is awe inspiring.

I hope this helps

Ian
The Lotus Eclat, a lot like the English Whisky company: comes from Norfolk and better than you are often told it is.

Mr Locust
Senior Poster
Model: Excel EFI
Colour: White
Year: 1986

Post by Mr Locust »

Has anyone used the the EBC discs and Ultimax pads?
Not yet. I'm hoping they will be OK. I've fitted front and rear but not used them yet.

hodders
Senior Poster
Model: Excel Celebration
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1992

Post by hodders »

I'm selling a set of EBC discs and Ultimax2 pads on eBay at the moment, the PO supplied them with my car.
-- hodders

1992 Lotus Excel Celebration, Calypso Red
2021 BMW i3s, Blue Ridge Mountain
2020 Jaguar I-Pace, Eiger Grey

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

hodders wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 18:18
I'm selling a set of EBC discs and Ultimax2 pads on eBay at the moment, the PO supplied them with my car.
Do you have the listing number?

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

igg-hiss wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 19:53

Performance pads (coming from experience wih EBC green and red) can take a little time to warm up and are not always that quiet, idea for a track day car but far from idle for a GT Additionally noise can be generated by grooved discs. The plus side for them is retardation once on song is awe inspiring.

I hope this helps

Ian
Thanks for all the info.
The ultimax 2 pads are their road standard pads and the discs they do are just the normal ungrooved ones, so shouldn’t have any of the problems of the uprated stuff. I don’t think they do an upgraded rear pad or disc, only front ones.

hodders
Senior Poster
Model: Excel Celebration
Colour: Calypso Red
Year: 1992

Post by hodders »

Alan_M wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 00:38
hodders wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143646215432
-- hodders

1992 Lotus Excel Celebration, Calypso Red
2021 BMW i3s, Blue Ridge Mountain
2020 Jaguar I-Pace, Eiger Grey

Alan_M
Senior Poster

Post by Alan_M »

hodders wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 23:09
Alan_M wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 00:38
hodders wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143646215432
Thanks, but they’re fronts and I’m after rears.

Mr Locust
Senior Poster
Model: Excel EFI
Colour: White
Year: 1986

Post by Mr Locust »

Has anyone used the the EBC discs and Ultimax pads? How were they?
Fitted front and rear, initial impressions after the first 200miles normal road use are quite positive.