Fuel smell in boot

General Elite, Eclat and Excel discussions.

Moderator: Board Moderators

smithersoli
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SE
Colour: Pacific Blue
Year: 1986

Re: Fuel smell in boot

Post by smithersoli »

Phantasm wrote:So I didn't particularly like the tube being so visible from the rear, so, I rerouted it through one of the holes in the spare tire area. The center one looked to go to nowhere, but there was some space to slide it through under the support for the Rear suspension arms. No heat, no moving parts, not even likely to get wet FWIW. So it's tucked away in there now and the bumper didn't need to come off. Requires much less hose too!!! Think of the weight savings!

That's always assuming you have the later boot support bracket to hide it. My car doesn't have one!!

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Thread revival.
Compliments to the site, creators and administrators.
I've recently acquired an Excel. First major full tank and following morning could smell fuel in car. Opened the boot and you could REALLY smell fuel.
So onto the site and third hit on the search was this thread. Back to car and photo below of the last 8" of the breather.
Why it stops clean cut just after the clip I've no idea, but i don't really care. Maybe someone just bought 2M instead of 3M but at least I know the problem and can sort it.

Liking the idea of dropping through the tyre well. Presume also avoids need to remove the bumper :D
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

I've gone the short route as well, out the wheel well.
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

AndyD
Junior Poster
Colour: Calypso Red

Post by AndyD »

Worth noting the fuel pump has a breather too as I found when I replaced my knackered pump which had an inch of perished pipe left on it. No sign of the rest of it. How much the pump 'breathes' I don't know.

I had the bumper off for painting at the time so ran it parallel to the main breather and out the second hole in the bumper which I suspect was originally intended for a battery breather, long gone on my car.

Andy

Roadrunner
Regular Poster
Model: Eclat Excel
Year: 1984

Post by Roadrunner »

When I bought my Excel more than 3 years ago there was a smell of petrol in the boot. The previous owner explained that he had replaced the breather hose, which he had and it was routed as it was meant to be with its outlet beneath the bumper. The smell was still there several month later and so I shortened the hose and pushed it through the drainage hole in the spare wheel well just as shown in this thread. Made no difference.

Last year, while the car was at Lotusbits the guys had a look and very much disapproved of the shortened hose (not sure why!). They routed a new hose in the original configuration. Sadly, still a smell of petrol in the boot. They then found a small perforation in the tank and fitted a good used replacement. A year on and still a smell of petrol in the boot.

I've come to the conclusion that the car must have been factory fitted with a smell of petrol in the boot. Fortunately My car is garaged and so I just leave the boot lid slightly open when parked. It works! No smell of petrol in the boot! Well, at least not until I open it after a journey!!

pistolpete
Senior Poster
Colour: Red
Year: 1990

Post by pistolpete »

Yes I do the same, just leave the boot open. I think mine weeps slightly from the fuel pump connections, other wise I can't see where the smell comes from

DavidOliver
Senior Poster
Model: Excel
Year: 1985

Post by DavidOliver »

After removing the tank to repair chassis to body fixing point I had a petrol smell in the boot. I had a minor moisture at the outlet banjo.
Also try checking fuel pump connections and fuel pump body bolts.

The plastic pipe disintegrates because fuel vapour is not compatible with plastic.

Dave thr cog.

Hawaiis0
Senior Poster
Model: Excel SA (No 3); Elite 504
Colour: BRG; Dirty White

Post by Hawaiis0 »

My fuel smell remained until my repairs to the broken hose worked it's way all the way to the filler neck connection point. I used the short route as mentioned and now have no smell using that configuration. Nothing to do with covid19 :D
Nothing is fool proof. Fools are clever!

igg-hiss
Senior Poster

Post by igg-hiss »

The built in luggage compartment petrol fragrancer is at times mighty useful, I can always locate my luggage in a hotel store room no matter how full the room may be (even with my eyes closed). Strangely my Excel has the fragrencer system fitted but not my Eclat or was it an optional extra on the Eclat?
The Lotus Eclat, a lot like the English Whisky company: comes from Norfolk and better than you are often told it is.

AndyD
Junior Poster

Post by AndyD »

The built in luggage compartment petrol fragrancer is at times mighty useful, I can always locate my luggage in a hotel store room no matter how full the room may be (even with my eyes closed)
Classic... :lol:

tezzan
Junior Poster
Model: Excel
Year: 1984

Post by tezzan »

igg-hiss wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 20:24
The built in luggage compartment petrol fragrancer is at times mighty useful, I can always locate my luggage in a hotel store room no matter how full the room may be (even with my eyes closed). Strangely my Excel has the fragrencer system fitted but not my Eclat or was it an optional extra on the Eclat?
Actually I think you'll find that the fuel smell was a chargeable dealer option:

:wink:

igg-hiss
Senior Poster

Post by igg-hiss »

tezzan wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 22:30
igg-hiss wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 20:24
Actually I think you'll find that the fuel smell was a chargeable dealer option:

:wink:
:lol:
The Lotus Eclat, a lot like the English Whisky company: comes from Norfolk and better than you are often told it is.

bash
Senior Poster
Model: Se, V8
Colour: white

Post by bash »

I recently had a fail to proceed incident when my facet pump failed fitted to cope with the higher delivery of my V8. After a fuel efficient run on the back of a recovery wagon I fitted the old SU pump back on to get the car back in the garage, but it pissed fuel out of the end cover cos the old cork gasket had shrunk. It made me wonder if some of your fuel smells were from this gasket.
Bash
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

MetBlue
Senior Poster
Model: Elite 74 & Excel 92 (SEish))
Colour: Metalic Blue
Year: 1974

Post by MetBlue »

Fuel pump is only a couple of years old. Also as fuel level has gone down, smell is less noticeable, so pretty sure my case is primarily due to the breather. All joints look leak free, so fingers crossed.
Tony
What goes together.... Must come apart.